Back to top


Click here to go back

-What will I need if a member of the family dies?-

Posted by Admin Posted on Apr 29 2019


The following is a list of papers that will be necessary:

Copies of all insurance policies.

Marriage Certificate (if the deceased's spouse will be requesting benefits). You may obtain copies at the Office of the County Clerk where the marriage license was issued.

Certified copies of the death certificate (a minimum of 10). These can be bought from the funeral director or from the Health Department in your county.

Birth Certificates of dependent children. These may be obtained at either the County or State Public Health offices where the child was born.

Social Security numbers of the spouse, deceased and any dependent children.

Military discharge, if the deceased was a veteran. Write to The Department of Defense if you are unable to find copies.

A complete list of all property, including stocks, savings accounts, real estate, and personal property of the deceased.

Will, which will more than likely be with the lawyer of the deceased.                                                                                                

If you have any questions regarding accounting, domestic taxation, essential business accounting, international taxation, IRS representation, U.S. tax implications of Real Estate transactions or financial statements, please give us a call at 305-274-5811.

Source: Thomson Reuters

The information provided on the LBCPA Blog is a community service for general information purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional advisors who specialize in the topics covered. Please refer to your advisors for specific advice on these subjects. The information is not intended to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purposes of avoiding U.S. Federal and/or State tax laws or the tax laws of any foreign jurisdiction.

These blogs contain general information only and Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms presenting information are not providing accounting, business, financial, investment, legal, tax, or other professional advice or services. Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms contributing with articles shall not be responsible for any loss sustained by any person who relies on this information.