Back to top


Click here to go back

Tax Help for New Parents

Posted by Admin Posted on Apr 12 2024

Parents have special tax situations and benefits. Tax breaks for parenting expenses can result in a lower tax bill and a higher refund. Here are some key things new parents need to know.

Before filing, new parents should:

  • Get the child a Social Security or Individual Tax Identification number

To claim parental tax breaks, the taxpayer must have their child’s or dependent's Social Security number, Adoption Tax Identification Number or Individual Tax Identification Number. Confirming a child's birth is the only way the IRS can verify that the parent is eligible for the credits and deductions they claim on their tax return.

  • Check withholding

A new family member might make taxpayers eligible for new credits and deductions, which can greatly change their tax liability. They can use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator to check their withholding. Taxpayers should provide their employer with an updated Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate, if they want to change how much tax is withheld from their paycheck.

When preparing to file, check tax credits and deductions:

  • Child Tax Credit

Taxpayers who claim at least one child as their dependent on their tax return may be eligible for the child tax credit. for help figuring out if a child qualifies for this credit, taxpayers can check Does my child/dependent qualify for the child tax credit or the credit for other dependents?

  • Child and Dependent Care Credit

If taxpayers paid someone to take care of their children or another member of their household while they work, they may qualify for the Child and dependent care credit regardless of their income. Taxpayers who pay for daycare expenses may be eligible to claim up to 35% of those expenses with certain limits.

  • Adoption Tax Credit

This credit lets families who are in the adoption process during the tax-year claim eligible adoption expenses for each eligible child. Taxpayers can apply the Adoption tax credit to international, domestic, private and public foster care adoptions.

  • Earned Income Tax Credit

The Earned Income Tax Credit helps low- to moderate-income families get a tax break. If they qualify, taxpayers can use the credit to reduce the taxes they owe – and maybe increase their tax refund. People who earned $63,398 or less in 2023 may be eligible for this valuable tax credit. For tax year 2023, the EITC is as much as $7,430 for a family with three or more children or $600 for taxpayers who don’t have a qualifying child.

  • Credit for Other Dependents

Taxpayers with dependents who don't qualify for the child tax credit may be able to claim the credit for other dependents. taxpayers can use the Does my child/dependent qualify for the child tax credit or the credit for other dependents? tool on to help determine if they are eligible to claim the credit. They can claim this credit in addition to the child and dependent care credit and the Earned Income Credit.


If you have any questions regarding Essential Business Accounting, Domestic Taxation, International Taxation, IRS Representation, U.S. Tax Implications of Real Estate Transactions or Financial Statements, please give us a call at +1-305-274-5811

Source: IRS      

The information provided on the LBCPA Blog is a community service for general information purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional advisors who specialize in the topics covered. Please refer to your advisors for specific advice on these subjects. The information is not intended to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purposes of avoiding U.S. Federal and/or State tax laws or the tax laws of any foreign jurisdiction.

These blogs contain general information only and Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms presenting information are not providing accounting, business, financial, investment, legal, tax, or other professional advice or services. Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms contributing with articles shall not be responsible for any loss sustained by any person who relies on this information.