Back to top


Click here to go back

Did IRS adjust your charitable contribution deduction?

Posted by Admin Posted on Nov 14 2022


The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act enacted March 27, 2020, permits taxpayers to deduct up to 100 percent of their adjusted gross income (AGI), for qualified contributions made during calendar year 2020. The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 enacted on December 27, 2020, extends these benefits for 2021.

General Information

Taxpayers who file Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemize Deductions, may claim an itemize deduction for cash contributions made to qualifying charitable organizations, subject to certain limits. These limits typically range from 20 to 60 percent of the taxpayer’s AGI and vary by the type of contribution and type of charitable organization.

How do you elect to deduct up to 100 percent of a charitable contribution as an itemized deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A?

If you are filing a paper tax return, you must make the election on Form 1040 or Form 1040SR Schedule A next to line 11. You should include your election amount on the dotted line next to the line 11 or ensure your software makes the election per the instructions on Worksheet Two of Publication 526, Charitable Contributions.

Unless you make the election as described above, the usual percentage limit applies. Keep in mind your other allowed charitable contribution deductions reduce the maximum amount allowed under this election. See Worksheet Two in Publication 526 for more information.

Did you receive an IRS notice?

If you received an IRS notice, most likely a Notice CP12, adjusting your charitable contributions for tax years 2020 or 2021.

Review a copy of your 2020 or 2021 tax return, paper or electronic copy, to see if you made the election on the dotted line next to Line 11 of the Schedule A. You should take the following action:

  • If you did, follow the instructions on the Notice CP12 telling the IRS you made a proper election and provide any supporting documentation as needed.
  • If you didn’t, contact the IRS at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice or respond by mail to the address on your notice. If you write to the IRS, include a copy of the notice along with your correspondence or documentation. See Did you get a notice from the IRS?

If you have any questions regarding accounting, domestic taxation, essential business accounting, international taxation, IRS representation, U.S. tax implications of Real Estate transactions or financial statements, please give us a call at +305-274-5811.

Source: TAS       

The information provided on the LBCPA Blog is a community service for general information purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional advisors who specialize in the topics covered. Please refer to your advisors for specific advice on these subjects. The information is not intended to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purposes of avoiding U.S. Federal and/or State tax laws or the tax laws of any foreign jurisdiction.

These blogs contain general information only and Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms presenting information are not providing accounting, business, financial, investment, legal, tax, or other professional advice or services. Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms contributing with articles shall not be responsible for any loss sustained by any person who relies on this information.