Back to top


Click here to go back

How extension filers – and everyone else – can get tax help fast

Posted by Admin Posted on Aug 30 2022


For people who haven't filed their 2021 tax return yet, and for everyone looking for tax assistance, has resources to help people file electronically, get personalized tax account info, and find the status of their refund. These online tools are available any time, so taxpayers can use them at their convenience.

Get tax information 24/7

Taxpayers can use to:

  • View the filing page to get information on most federal income tax topics.
  • Access the Interactive Tax Assistant tool for answers to many tax law questions.
  • Sign into their individual IRS online account to view their balance and tax records, make payments, and manage communication preferences.
  • Find information about their tax refunds using the Where's My Refund? tool.

Taxpayers can also download the official IRS mobile app, IRS2Go, to check their refund status, make payments, find free tax preparation assistance, and sign up for helpful tax tips.

File electronically

Taxpayers who requested an extension to October 17 or missed the April 18 deadline can still prepare and file returns electronically for free with IRS Free File, if they qualify. The IRS accepts electronically filed returns 24/7. There's no reason to wait until October 17 if filers have all the information and documentation, they need to file an accurate return today. They can get their refund faster by choosing direct deposit.

If taxpayers need info about their Economic Impact Payments to determine eligibility for the recovery rebate credit or need to reconcile their advance child tax credit payments, they can go to the Tax Records tab in their IRS online account.

Taxpayers who missed the April 18 deadline and owe should file and pay electronically as soon as possible to reduce penalties and interest. Taxpayers can make payments or set up payment plans online.

Find a taxpayer assistance center

The Taxpayer Assistance Center Locator tool has a new look and feel, featuring a dynamic map, a directions button and two tabs for inputting search criteria. It's important to remember that Taxpayer Assistance Centers operate by appointment only. Taxpayers must make an appointment by calling the number for the office they want to visit.

Read information in other languages

Many IRS webpages are now available in Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Korean, Haitian Creole and Chinese. Some of the multilingual resources include the Taxpayer Bill of Rightse-file resources and many tax forms and publications.

Access the Alternative Media Center

The online Alternative Media Center has accessible products for use with assistive technology like screen reading software, refreshable Braille displays and screen magnifying software. These products include tax forms, instructions and publications that can be downloaded or viewed online as Section 508 compliant PDFs, HTML, eBraille, text and large print. To request paper copies of tax forms or instructions or publications in Braille or large print, taxpayers can call the tax form telephone number at 800-829-3676. Taxpayers can complete Form 9000, Alternative Media PreferencePDF, to receive their IRS tax notices in Braille, large print, audio or electronic formats.

If you have any questions regarding accounting, domestic taxation, essential business accounting, international taxation, IRS representation, U.S. tax implications of Real Estate transactions or financial statements, please give us a call at 305-274-5811.

Source: IRS

The information provided on the LBCPA Blog is a community service for general information purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional advisors who specialize in the topics covered. Please refer to your advisors for specific advice on these subjects. The information is not intended to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purposes of avoiding U.S. Federal and/or State tax laws or the tax laws of any foreign jurisdiction.

These blogs contain general information only and Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms presenting information are not providing accounting, business, financial, investment, legal, tax, or other professional advice or services. Lord Breakspeare Callaghan LLC or any of the other companies or firms contributing with articles shall not be responsible for any loss sustained by any person who relies on this information.